Search This Blog

Saturday 23 August 2014

Synch / Sink

I have just bought an all singing all dancing Samsung Galaxy S4. I've had it for 3 weeks now and it is beginning to understand me. Like a puppy, it may take me a while to fully train it to understand who is the alpha female leader of the pack. It still doesn't reliably respond to commands. I will perservere though.

One of the things the very helpful Geeks at Carphone Warehouse, (see my post of 5. 5. 2012), have done is "synch" me. God knows what that means, S/He in her infinite wisdom hasn't revealed that to me yet. A far better word to describe the process for me is sink - As in sinking feeling.

I don't know how many times I have been back to the shop to have something explained, but it is a lot. I know all of them quite well now. (I feel they may even offer me a G&T at some point). Fortunately it's just round the corner in Summertown & I can walk there. I suppose if I had sat nav enabled, the phone could tell me where to go. Fortunately I'm not senile enough just yet to have forgotten. The day may well come though, so I'd better find out how to download / upload it.

The thing is, that unless you know the right questions to ask, or are happy to spend the rest of your life just playing with the phone until something works, the whole process is very time wasting. I could easily sink under the volume of knowledge the Geeks posess. I do glaze over & although I take notes that's no guarantee I will be able to do it by myself.

At some point both my phone & I may be "Synched". It will probably then take over what's left of my brain. I will be remotely controlled. My friends and family probably won't notice, except that when I'm dementedly wandering & lost somewhere the phone will probably tell them where I am & they may come & fetch me - Or not as the case may be.

Anyway - this is yet another Blog in praise of Carphone Warehouse Geeks. What would I do without them. The one I've seen most, Rob, works 6 days a week. How on earth does he remain so cheerful & helpful in the face of people like me? A medal is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment