Search This Blog

Saturday 17 August 2013

Hoarders v Minimalists

Talking to friends, I discover that my beloved & I were not alone in being opposites in respect of keeping stuff. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with gender or age. Some of us are tidy & organised & some of us aren't - It's a fact of life.

As I plough through boxfiles of paperwork, which I did at least sort when David died, I discover that basically he never threw any paperwork away. Now I have the problem of how to dispose of sensitive information. Shredding & burning will both require me to stand for hours feeding a machine or a fire.

Having now plunged right into the depths of the shed's, (you notice the plural?), the garage, the loft & the crawl space I realise the full extent of the urge to keep "in case it come's in useful". For example, being an electrical engineer he kept really interesting things like valves, bakelite switches, weird meters, etc etc. Even the two men from TfSR / Transition Stroud, who were quite interested, said they should go to the tip!

I have to admit to feeling quite irritated at times. It isn't fun to have to sort & dispose of such a large quantity of stuff. It's really physically tiring & emotionally draining. People who live together usually take on separate roles in the partnership. You assume that the other half is doing their bit effectively. When you discover that they haven't & you have to sort everything out on your own it's hard not to feel negative.

So, my message to anyone who reads this is - sort your life out as though today will be your last day. When you have done that, live each day as though it is your last, safe in the knowledge that you have saved the person you love from as much work as possible if it really is your last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment