Search This Blog

Friday 19 July 2013

Shedding the Load

Today a whole load of antique "stuff" is being sold at auction. By an large it won't recoup what I paid for it because of the decline in demand for antiques. Add to that a £5 lotting fee on each lot, 15% commission to the auctioneers & charges for insurance etc & you don't get a lot back. So I just have to be pleased that I have reduced the quantity of my possessions & someone else will hopefully get pleasure from them.

Someone from Tools for Self Reliance is coming here to look at all my tools today - there are a lot. I feel pleased that they will be going to help others in more need than me. So another big reduction eventually. I've cleared out a whole load of plastic pots ready for re-cycling too. It is amazing what we hold on to in case it "comes in useful".

Two friends have bought garden ornaments & a barometer. The cash will actually be useful & it's nice to know the people & places which are their new homes. Attachment to things usually means memories of people. In the case of these items the people are no longer here, but I don't need the things to remember them. They will always be there, in the recesses of my mind. I am often reminded of them both by the oddest things, particularly my husband.

So bit by bit the process of uprooting & leaving goes on. By the time I go I will be more than ready, but it has been quite hard. I hope it's the right decision - time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment