Search This Blog

Friday 12 July 2013

Disappearing Home.


My things are moving to new homes. Gradually my daughter & friends are collecting various items which I won't have room for in my new city life. It's oddly reassuring that they are moving to the homes of people I love - I can picture them in situ. It's also really good to give things away to charities & know that someone not as fortunate as me may really need them / find a use for them.

There is a slight frisson of concern that I may get rid of something and then regret it. But in all honesty I feel relieved & lighter as each thing goes. There is also the weird feeling when I suddenly discover something that I had completely forgotten I had. It surely can't be that important when you aren't even aware of it.

In an ideal world I don't think I would have much in the way of possessions at all. Although I am keeping some things, this process has revealed to me that I don't actually really look at things as I live my life. I have lots of paintings, some ornaments, embroideries I did in my "arty" years, as most people do. But I think familiarity means you actually ignore. Life is too busy to really look & see properly. We generally don't have the time to appreciate nice things that surround us - even the free things like a beautiful view. It is a shame & I'm aiming to be very selective in my new home. Less is more, but the less you have the more important it is that it enriches you life - your soul.

I really don't care much about things. I don't think I need things to remind me of my life. What's gone is gone, I need to focus on today, this minute & enjoy it free from encumbrances. It may not be that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment