Search This Blog

Friday 19 July 2013

Transition Stroud - Hawkwood College

Steve R has just been to check out all my tools for TfSR - http://www.tfsr.org It was  really great to meet someone who is so committed to the whole self reliance / eco philosophy. Like most volunteers I've met, he gives up a lot of his time but really enjoys what he does. I'm delighted that he is keen to have all the tools, shelving, workbenches etc etc my lovely husband amassed despite loathing DIY.

Dave spent huge amounts of time chopping wood for a wood burner he never got round to buying. I did though, a year after he died. I couldn't bear to think that all his effort was wasted & I benefited every winter from all that effort. So, I'm really pleased that the Transition group may also want some of the wood. It's really nice that my daughter & a good friend will benefit too.

Interestingly there is a whole network of spin offs from the TfSR ethic. So Steve runs courses for people in simple building / DIY skills at Hawkwood College. The group also do maintenance etc for each other, under his professional eye, to develop their skill base. I wish I'd known that after Dave died - it would have saved me a lot of stress. What a simple & effective idea though. I really like the whole community, self help ethos. It's a shame that positive initiatives like this don't get more publicity, while negative news often smothers the front pages.

http://www.transitionstroud.org
http://www.hawkwoodcollege.co.uk/news/Building_Skills_Action_Group

It really is a double whammy - win win situation.  I pass on things I can no longer use. Someone else, here or in Africa, develops skills & uses things which might have just been thrown away. Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment