Search This Blog

Thursday 23 May 2013

The Decision Making Process

How much should you trust your own "gut instinct" & how much should you research & make sure you have all the relevant information? How many other opinions should you seek & whose opinion do you trust? Friends & family who have been consulted have identified things I hadn't thought of. This is all critical for me at the moment in trying to buy a house.

On the one hand I don't tend to dither & I am organised, so the process should be reasonably safe. On the other this is the most expensive purchase I will ever make & it is really important to be happy in your home. It's the place you spend most time if you are retired. It should be a sanctuary. A mistake can be very costly in financial & emotional terms. I really don't want to have to do this all again, especially if I was 10 years older.

The danger is that one becomes over analytical & bogged down in information. The "pro's" & "con's" just confuse & hinder purposeful action. There has to be compromise because the ideal simply doesn't exist. The key is identifying what is non negotiable - what is really important to you. I like space & light. I like modern & uncluttered. I need peace & quiet.

Even though I'm clear about my likes & dislikes & just how much work I'm prepared to do on the right house, it's still a leap in the dark. It's also quite mind blowing to get all the balls in the air at the right moment & remember everything that has to be done to move house.

The only consolation is that is if I'm finding it quite a difficult process now, it's bound to be even worse when I'm 70+. I need to make my mind up.

No comments:

Post a Comment