Search This Blog

Sunday 12 May 2013

All the Fun of the Fair - Finding a Focus

The experience of selling & moving house is much like a funfair. There's the terrifying up & down extreme of the Roller Coaster - one minute exhilaration, the next the depths of despair & sometimes a good soaking. The Ferris Wheel lifting you up to the clear view above, followed quickly by coming straight back down to the narrow view of a small piece of the earth. The dark unknown of the Ghost Train tunnel. The quick plunge downwards of the Helter Skelter, when everything is going just too fast. The Dodgems where you try to plan and anticipate the next move & avoid trouble, only to be thwarted by a sneaky body blow from behind. The whole process is Swings & Roundabouts - quite a lot of energy expended, but not much actual movement forward.

So it is really important to try to retain a positive mindset. It is often easier to think of all the negatives - how will I make new friends, a new, enjoyable life? Maybe more importantly, will I find a property that I can really call my home.

Focussing on the negatives inherent in the risk of not only moving house, but moving to a completely different location, isn't going to get me anywhere. Nor is the fact that I love my friends & my life here. I'm well within my comfort zone & I'm chosing to leave it all behind.

I believe what you chose to focus on is really important in every aspect of life. We humans seem to be programmed to focus on the negative more than the positive. We need to chose to focus on the positive for it to stand any chance of happening. We need to be open to new things, a different way of living, rather than just travelling along the same old tracks to the same old stations along the way. That just leads to the ultimate terminus.

It's all a game. What matters is how you play it & the effect you allow it to have on you. So I'm seeing the move as an opportunity. I'm trying to be organised & methodical & accept that there will be times when my comfort zone seems completely out of sight. I'm hardly going to be out on the streets & friendless. I just need to keep my focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment