Search This Blog

Saturday 25 August 2012

Nepal - Tickets.

The tickets and info about the taxi pick up arrived this morning. So it's really happening. Can't quite believe I'm doing this, given all the reasons why I shouldn't. I've just realised that I've unconsciously been sorting out my life in case I don't come back in one piece! I've sorted out my Tax and Lasting Power of Attorney. I've left detailed information for my daughter in a "Life Book". I've arranged direct debits for my credit cards & got enough pills & prescriptions for all my meds.

On a lighter note I'm in contact with the other two women who are going to Samata school as well & the one who will work in Naxal orphanage. Four middle aged women setting off into the unknown as volunteers. It is quite remarkable really. I wonder how much we have in common apart from age & an obvious intrepid spirit & wish to do something meaningful. So far the common theme from us all, as well as volunteers who went before us, is how poor the communication has been from Saga's Charitable Trust which operates this placement. It feels as if we have had to keep asking questions & prodding action.

I now suspect that this might be a box ticking enterprise by Saga. The big clue was when we sent off the visa form & were told to put holiday not volunteering. I will be disappointed if our skills aren't utilised properly. It has been difficult to prepare for the actual work in the absence of a reasonable amount of information about the facilities & set up of the school & orphanage. Looking at emails & blogs from previous volunteers they don't seem to have been too impressed with how their placements worked in practice either. Maybe that's something I can do, suggest what could go in a proper briefing pack for volunteers.

Three weeks tomorrow I'll be setting off - How exciting is that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment