Search This Blog

Saturday 24 March 2012

Moving On 2

The capacity human beings have to vacillate is amazing! A week on from deciding to market the house & move to Oxford I've managed to veer from one extreme to the other.

Good news - the house is worth quite a bit more than I thought and 3 agents seemed very optimistic. But then they would wouldn't they? Local friends were universally supportive & seemed genuinely sorry I might move - some even thought I was a bit potty to be considering leaving such a unique house & location. Especially since I have a good network of tradesmen, friends & neighbours supporting me here. I love my house & the spectacular views.

Conversely, a minor problem with the boiler sent me into stress mode, (but wherever you live you have maintenance & upkeep). In fact it was simply a question of equalising the pressure & I'll know what to do next time. The thing that really put me off was looking at property in Oxford on the internet - much more expensive & lots of Victorian / Edwardian terraced houses & poky flats which I wouldn't consider. I really value peace & quiet & privacy & have lived in a rural area for over 30 years. So city living is obviously going to be a big change & challenge.

But also there are bonuses - access to shops, take aways, good transport links & lots to see and do in a city are what has tempted me to make the move. Not to mention being nearer my daughter & family. Logically, if I could make a new life for myself when David died 3 years ago, I could do it again. The hard work, hassle & cost of moving has probably got to be faced at some time, so probably better sooner rather than later.

So there you are - "Mrs Undecided". I'm not uses to not knowing my own mind, so it's a bit disconcerting. I suppose I might as well give it a go & put myself in the lap of the Gods. Any views would be most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment