Search This Blog

Saturday 24 September 2011

Religion.

Going on a Pilgrimage makes you think. Seeing the Catholic churches of Northern Spain confirmed what I have thought about some of the established religions for a long time. I really don't have much time for them on any level.

Firstly, God, if s/he exists, surely doesn't want or need all of the opulence of churches drenched in silver, gold, jewels, exquisite artwork & beautiful adornments for the priesthood. Especially when you know that much of the wealth was stolen from South American indigenous peoples whose lives & culture was destroyed, or tithed from poor ignorant people who knew no better. I can admire the skill of craftsmen who created the artifacts and enjoy their intrinsic beauty. But I abhor the creation of a class of men raised above ordinary people and dressed in finery.

I don't feel the need to have an intermediary between me and God. I really don't see why God wouldn't be able to hear me when I talk to him/her. Similarly I cannot understand why I should need Mary, an apostle or a saint to intercede for me or help God hear what I'm saying. Surely God is omnipotent? It can't be that difficult.

However I do admire people of faith who give up their lives to help others. It's the trappings of power I object to. And that's the problem, it seems to me that much of the Established church was all about wealth, power & fear. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you who had the wealth & power & who was in fear.

I don't have a problem with the beautiful, soaring architecture in which people can come together to worship. I personally don't feel the need to join with others to communicate with God. But I can understand the need of others to do that in a special building that represents something outside the normal run of human life. Man's achievement in creating cathedrals & churches is truly amazing.

I think that if we viewed churches & Cathedrals as museums containing treasures created by man, at a time when the Church held sway and was central to the lives of most people, then it would be a healthier relationship. Todays church needs to find a more relevant way of communicating with people & helping them develop a moral compass & spiritual relationship with the world they live in. So far I don't see too many signs that the church even understands the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment