Search This Blog

Saturday 17 September 2011

Pilgrimage 2

I've just got back from doing the pilgrimage from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostella in Northern Spain. Before I give the wrong impression, I should clarify that it was done by coach interspersed with walks, & not on foot all the way. I have nothing but admiration for those who do walk or cycle it, but I couldn't do it, so I took the easy way.

It is fascinating because you travel through some of Spain's most diverse & beautiful landscapes. The architecture is "amazing", as our lovely guide Emma said. Although I do have to say that I feel that we "overdosed" on the "more is more" style of Spanish Baroque. Give me the simplicity of Romanesque any time.

The local food is really good, made from fresh ingredients, and varies from area to area with lots of seafood. The wine's not bad either & there was quite a lot of it! The speciality Quiemada drink is a killer.

The people are very helpful & friendly. I found myself people watching a lot, both the locals & the people on the trip with me. My fellow pilgrims were a diverse lot, from those who knew nothing about where they were going to those who, like me, had wanted to do it for years & knew a great deal about the places & history. Chaucer had it about right I think, the sheer diversity of people's motives & character is endlessly interesting and entertaining. Our group got on remarkably well & had a great time. There are always going to be some who will not have their expectations met, but tolerance is all, and if you can't be generous of spirit on a Pilgrimage, when can you?

It is the sort of experience which does promote philosophical thought. About yourself & others & also about life. I thought a lot about David & Pip & left a memorial stone at Cruz de Hierro the Camino's highest point. David would have loved to do this walk, so I did find it all a bit hard.

The journey is internal as well as external & physical. If you are open and aware and "in the moment" I think there are lessons to take away with you. Life is a journey. It isn't the destination that is important. It is how you get there.

I don't believe in most of the tenets of Western established religions. I think they are man, (and I do mean man), made creations. But I do admire people who believe, & what is more important, try to live by the teachings of those beliefs. I do think there is good and evil within us all and I wish I could be as charitable & good as some of the people I have met on the two pilgrimages I have been on. So long as the majority of people aspire to be as good as they can be there is hope for the human race. I do wonder whether we are at a tipping point though & in danger of being overwhelmed by greed, selfishness & lust for posessions & power, and all the other base human traits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment