I'm not sure I can differentiate between cheerfulness & positivity. I think I am positive, but am not sure I am particularly cheerful. But here goes, in the order they occurred to me;-
- I am secure, at home & in the area & country in which I live
- I am free to voice my opinions in public
- I can vote freely without fear
- I have friends & family I can trust
- I can mostly rely on the basics of life - food, warmth, shelter, water (?), breathable air (?)
- I have reliable, unbiased, sources of information - (providing I fact check)
- I have reliable methods of communication with others - (at the moment)
- I have leisure activities & things to occupy & interest me
- I can be creative & appreciate the arts
I'm sure I could think of more. I imagine you could too. It depends on what is important to you.

There are lots of things I have that I don't particularly need. How lucky am I? We all have stuff. Periodically I clear out & try to simplify my life. My life isn't basic by any means, it is a rich life. Not necessarily in monetary terms, although I am financially secure too.
What is the point of this post?
The point is that there are far more people who don't have the reasons to be cheerful than I do. 72% of people live in countries facing biological resource deficits combined with below-world-average incomes, trapping large portions of the globe in ecological poverty. 72% of people face water security issues, with about 8% living with critical water insecurity. 43% of the world feels they can do nothing to protect themselves when facing a disaster. Millions live under zero physical security ratings, lacking basic protection from war, state violence or severe insurgency. There are nations rated as unfree.
Until the more fortunate nations understand & accept this, the world will not function as it should. We must disabuse ourselves of the idea that borders are fixed & not a man made construction that changes over time. Viewing the world from space changed the perceptions of astronauts. Several said that national boundaries & divisions vanish when in orbit, leaving just one fragile home. Where we are born, what we believe in, our culture, religion, fulfilment of needs, are all a lottery. We have little or no control initially, although some do change those parameters over time.
There are many things human beings deserve. A fulfilling life & happiness must be high on the list of priorities.
Well said Val, all too often we overlook how fortunate we are and how rich our lives are
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy to take it for granted.
ReplyDelete