Search This Blog

Monday 18 July 2022

Red Extreme Heat Warning

This is a first. It is a National Emergency. Temperatures of 40 degrees plus.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal 

Hopefully it will serve as a warning to all the Climate Emergency deniers. 

Many people will feel very unwell. People will die. In 2020 across the 3 heatwave episodes, the total cumulative all-cause excess mortality was estimated to be 2,556. This is likely to be higher. 

I have a front North / rear South facing house. I can't bear to be at the back from early morning onwards. The rear extension has big windows & bifold doors which don't, as yet have any blinds. Renovation isn't finished. Fortunately I had shutters fitted in the front study just before this event, so I can retreat. I close the windows at the back & lower the blind in my bedroom, which is at the back. I open windows on the shady side if the air is cooler.

I know enough about protecting myself to feel reasonably safe, despite being elderly with a pacemaker & pre-existing conditions which make me vulnerable. But I'm not able to do anything much during the day apart from read & doze. Such a waste of time! I'm normally very busy. Any exertion makes me breathless & sweat profusely. My legs feel like lead weights are attached.

Forest fire burning into the night

I'm one of the lucky ones. I cannot imagine going to work in this heat. I cannot imagine living in a bedsit or flat with little ventilation. My car has air con, public transport must be dreadful. Most of our building aren't adequately built for extremes of weather. 

We haven't prepared. Much of the responsibility for preparing lies with the government who are way behind the curve. But we, individually, have a responsibility too. We either accept the fact that we should make our own homes climate change ready, or we suffer in both summer & winter. Unless we are prepared to effectively lobby government to make the changes & pay more in taxes for those changes, we will continue to suffer episodes like this.

We are at a critical turning point. The current government is in a state of flux. The new leader needs to take action. There may be an election before the end of this parliament. The next government needs to have this as the highest priority.

It's no good being stoic & passive & resisting change. This is here now. We need serious actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment