Search This Blog

Friday 29 November 2019

Accountability & Trust

Looking back, it seems to me that I have never been able to "get away" with anything. I have made mistakes in my personal & professional life, but I have always been held accountable for them at some point. Sometimes I have been held accountable for things which were beyond my control because others higher up the "food chain" did not take responsibility.

In personal & professional relationships you have to show, by your actions, that you are trustworthy. Trust & respect have to be earned & simply saying that you have those qualities has no impact whatsoever. Dictators say a lot in speeches to influence crowds, then betray their populations & salt away money in offshore accounts.

We are in the midst of a crucial election to determine the future path of the United Kingdom. Leaders of political parties & their acolytes are promising the electorate improvements which should have been happening for years. The present government is sidestepping accountability for the situation they have created throughout their tenure.

How can we reasonably be expected to trust what they say when we have seen the results of their action or inaction in running the country? How can we trust what they say when time & again they will not answer simple straightforward questions? How can we trust them when actual lies have been exposed? How can we trust a Prime Minister who is not capable of facing forensic questioning by expert journalists or even the public?

I really think I have lost something very valuable. Something which has been central to the way I live my life. We should all be accountable for our actions. We should all be able to trust our politicians.

I have completely lost trust in our democracy - our political system & those that have power in it. Any government has an uphill struggle to convince me that they have the skills & moral compass to govern in the best interests of the country.
Image result for Quotes about accountability" 

No comments:

Post a Comment