Search This Blog

Saturday 9 January 2016

Technology & Ageing

Who would have thought that I would start wearing orthodontic braces at almost 71? There is no roadmap to ageing, so you know it's going to happen, but you really don't know how much of your life will be affected. Everyone has to navigate the sometimes rough seas as an explorer & find their own way through.

I have now got a pacemaker, a hearing aid, & a personal alarm in the house. I'm addicted to my computer & could run my whole life from my home, although that would be very isolating. Texting & emailing isn't the same as human contact. I also have a 4G phone.

Radio & TV are my windows on the world. I have a Kindle, but have to admit I still prefer books. Technology allows me to be selective, so I rarely watch live TV, preferring a PVR recording instead. Currently my Smart TV is proving a bit to difficult for my ageing brain & I can't seem to watch my other TV & record on the new PVR simultaneously.

My kitchen is a marvel of modern appliances despite the fact that, as a single person, I cook from scratch much less than I used to.

Online banking & shopping have changed my life. I was wary at first, but now I wouldn't be without it. Click & Collect it wonderful.

Information, people, the world are all easily accessible. The only downside is that when there are glitches or problems I can't fix them. I need someone who can & that can be expensive.

All in all I think I am probably lucky to be ageing now with all the benefits of technology. It must have been much harder for my parents generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment