Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 December 2015

A Cold is a Cold is a ....B..... Nuisance

I can't remember the last time I had a streaming cold. I don't think I have ever had Flu'. So I had forgotten the misery that a simple virus can inflict. To my mind Bronchitis, Sinusitis & Laryngitis, which I have had many times, are all much worse. The ultimate is Pneumonia & Pleurisy, which I have also had & hope never to repeat the experience. (Thank goodness for the wonders of modern vaccination).

It started gently with a sore throat last Wednesday evening. Eventually I couldn't talk, not a problem really, I don't talk to myself a lot now. (Only in extremis). It was interesting to discover what my voice sounded like when people phoned though. Swallowing was uncomfortable.

Then I started streaming & explosively sneezing at the weekend. My ribs are actually sore from sneezing. I dread having something in my mouth or hands when I sneeze because whatever it is would end up scattered everywhere. (Then I would have to clean it up!) There have been near misses. Breathing through my nose is either exquisitely uncomfortable or completely impossible.

My eyes are sore, red rimmed & prickly. My "normal" slight deafness is much worse. I do hope my TV doesn't disturb the new neighbours. Not a good start to a friendly relationship.

My head & face ache. My teeth feel very peculiar - I think that's incipient Sinusitis.

My "normal" hot sweats are immeasurably worse. My cleaner actually complained how cold my house was. To me it's unbearably hot with the heating on & I'm continually stripping off during the day or throwing the duvet off at night.

I have watched daytime TV for the first time in living memory - apart from Wimbledon & that doesn't count. I have also officially become an old lady & have started a jigsaw. It was a big charity shop mistake - a Renoir, Les Parapluis - very impressionist, therefore difficult. I have done the border, but may give up on the middle.

It is so frustrating to want to be horizontal & asleep & know that the minute you are all the symptoms get worse.

Ah well - the end must be in sight & at least I'll have some anti bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment