Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Time Wasters

The one thing I know with complete certinty is that I have a finite amount of time. On the micro level to get things done & on the macro level to live. Thus it seems increasingly important to use my time wisely & to do things I really want to / need to do.

I don't want to be completely selfish you understand, I just don't want to waste my most precious resource. As everything in my life has to be done by me alone, just the  process of everyday living takes up a lot of my time.

My problem is with people who don't seem to understand that I may not wish to listen to the minutiae of their lives for hours, (literally!) I don't want to know details about their family, friends & colleagues who I have never even met. I don't want to know all the problems of people I hardly know. Yes, that sounds harsh, but I actually have more than enough problems of my own at the moment.

There are a couple of people who are very recent acquaintances who seem incapable of stopping the flow. They don't seem to pick up my body language & signals of frustration & glazing over. One comes to my door at the most inappropriate times, eg mealtimes, & will stand for hours oblivious to the fact that I am really not engaging with the conversation. The fact that I don't invite this person in doesn't seem to impinge on their consciousness.

I don't know what to do, short of being really blunt & rude. It goes against the grain though.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment