Search This Blog

Saturday 13 June 2015

Cold Turkey - Episode 2

I took the last pain killer on Tuesday. It really didn't cross my mind that the withdrawl symptoms would come back. I thought I was over all of that.

On Wednesday I didn't feel too good, but I could function. I didn't get much sleep on Wednesday night though. By Thursday I felt rough enough to lie down all afternoon, but managed to go out to the theatre in the evening. (Distraction Technique always works well for me. I have had enough practice).

Yesterday I simply didn't know what to do with myself. I woke with a dreadful migraine type headache. I kept the tight band of head pain all day. I felt nauseous all the time & could only eat fruit & drink water. My stomach felt very uncomfortably bloated. I veered manically between sweating profusely & not being able to get warm at all. Unsurprisingly I stayed in bed most of the day.

The thing is it has made me realise, in some small part, that I had no idea what drug addiction is like. I certainly hadn't a clue how difficult it is to come off drugs.

I have always thought drugs should be supplied to addicts by medical professionals to monitor & control the addiction. Also to pull the rug out from under the feet of the criminal suppliers & remove all their profits & stop criminalising the users.

I now feel more sympathetic to the addicts. It would have been only too easy to end all the awful withdrawl symptoms by just taking a pill. No wonder they are trapped in a cycle of abuse. We all tend to judge addicts. Not me. Not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment