Search This Blog

Saturday 21 June 2014

"Out of the Blue" - Song & Dance

http://www.ootb.org.uk

Last night I had a great time at a gig by "Out of the Blue". They are a 15 strong group of male "a capella" singers from Oxford university.  I had seen them busking in the street a couple of years ago & thought they were amazingly talented. I didn't know anything about them though. When I saw the New Theatre concert advertised I immediately bought tickets, that's how good they are.

The repertoire is mostly modern pop, but with stunning a capella arrangements for 7 Tenors, 4 Baritones & 4 Basses. Not only do they sing, they also have great moves to the music. In fact I can't really see how they manage to dance, sing & breathe! As if that isn't enough they are also very funny.

Having sung their praises, the thing that I love is the sheer joy and energy that comes across the footlights. Each one had a moment in the spotlight & chatted to a packed house as though they were in someones living room. You feel you know them in a way I haven't felt at a concert before. They come across as really nice, polite young men, who don't take themselves too seriously - Unlike many male diva's in pop groups.The audience was ecstatic & they got a well deserved standing ovation.

Because they are all at the university the group is constantly changing. I suppose they must have to get a proper job at some point. Goodness knows how they manage to combine singing & study. But it's great that they do. So many academics become very narrow in their lives.

As if all that isn't enough they do workshops in schools & colleges & support Helen & Douglas House.

Awesome! Well done OOTB.


No comments:

Post a Comment