Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 May 2014

County Court - The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly.

I have a County Court case against the vendor of my house, Mr C, on Friday. The process started in early October last year & will finally come to fruition in an hour and a half hearing in front of a Judge.

I have done all the work myself without legal representation. It's been very time consuming, but reasonably straight forward. The costs involved are in the hundreds of pounds, so not prohibitive. All the supporting documentation, has been delivered to the Court & to Mr C. Now I just have to wait & see what happens on the day.

Obviously to my mind I have a reasonable case. I bought the house on the understanding that Mr C would get the maintenance done professionally after his tenants moved out & get the house professionally cleaned. Two major areas of concern were highlighted, a leaking boiler & a leaking roof. Both issues were supposedly put right, prior to completion. However once I moved in it was obvious that neither problem had been solved.

I don't know what the outcome will be. I have no idea what defence Mr C can put up to counter my claim. I don't know if I will be facing him or his lawyers. It is a concern. I'm sure my pacemaker will be working overtime on Friday morning.

But it's a matter of principle. An agreement is an agreement & should be honoured, especially when there is a paper trail. Sorting out all the problems I discovered with this 7 year old house has been very stressful, time consuming & costly. I simply never imagined that a house of this age had been so badly maintained.

I took Mr C at his word. On Friday I will find out if that means anything. At least he will have had to read all the disclosure documents & face me personally & listen to my case. There will be some justice in that - if he turns up of course. Whether I'll get any money back is, of course, another matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment