Search This Blog

Sunday 20 April 2014

Grayson Perry & the Easter Bunny

My Easter weekend has been somewhat different.

Yesterday I went to Birmingham to see the Grayson Perry exhibition "The vanity of Small Differences". Absolutely brilliant! The man is so interesting, creative & intelligent. Maryon & I spent ages utterly fascinated by the multi-layered iconography, wit & skill of each of the pieces. There is so much in these huge tapestries it's hard to describe what they are about & the impact they have. You could come back to them time & time again & always see something new, something witty & importantly, something which makes a meaningful social comment. I've always been a big fan & everything I see of his confirms my view that he is uniquely talented among artists today. I wish I had the money to buy his work. Best of all he isn't pretentious or judgemental, he is genuinely interested in his subject, whatever it happens to be.

Then today, complete contrast, I went to Daylesford Farm with Maryon & family. Possibly the mecca of "yummy mummies" & their families. It was packed for the annual Lambing Tours. I have to admit that I was impressed. Yes, the food is pricey, but it is beautifully presented & obviously high quality as well as being totally organic. The set up is extremely well run, with plenty of delightful, well trained, staff on hand. The place must have cost a fortune to bring up to the immaculate standard it is today. I can't imagine the logistics behind the business, but it is extremely well run. It was a really nice day out, despite the grey, cold weather. The icing on the cake was to go to the lambing sheds & see the utter delight on the faces of children, (& adults), who were able to hold new born lambs in their hands. No one mentioned lamb chops fortunately.

The twins did get their share of chocolate from the Easter Bunny, but it was really nice that they got so much more pleasure from a real experience, rather than a supermarket generated consumer event.

No comments:

Post a Comment