Search This Blog

Saturday 7 April 2012

Human Rights & Wrongs

A friend has just been to the Quaker Spring Conference - "Faith in Action". She sent me some of the interesting handouts on Climate, Tar Sands oil extraction & Israeli illegal settlements on Palestinian land. Quakers have always been at the forefront of action on ethical issues & aren't afraid to be political. They are prepared to take a moral stand on important issues in a quiet & purposeful way.

Having been to the West Bank & seen for myself the conditions Palestinian's live in I was particularly struck by the campaign to boycott Israeli dates. Look at www.inminds.com/boycott-israeli-dates.php  All our major supermarkets sell Medjool dates year round now. They are expensive and delicious, a real treat. Now I know more about their production I won't be eating them any more, or any other dates produced by Israel. In fact I am seriously considering boycotting other Israeli products, which are surprisingly numerous & sold by some of our biggest retailers in many spheres.

I really had no idea of the clout Israel has with multinational companies & therefore with Western politics. I have increasingly become very unhappy with the methods they use to colonise illegally & repress the Palestinians. That doesn't mean I'm not aware of the wrongs committed by extreme Palestinian groups. I condemn them totally & equally.

Maybe we in the West need to stop sitting on the fence. Each of us can make a difference, however small, through our actions. The Israeli / Palestinian question needs to be resolved for us all to be safer. No one should be treated in the way many ordinary Palestinian people have been.  

No comments:

Post a Comment