Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 April 2012

David Hockney - "A Bigger Picture"



I went to the David Hockney exhibition with my daughter and enjoyed it immensely. The sheer energy of producing so much new work to fill the Royal Academy at his age is impressive. Hockney is skilled and creative. I don't like all his work, but I admire his ability to adapt to new media & interpret the world around him in new ways. To see the possibilities in the iPad and adapt his technique to it makes me really envious.

When you look at the brushwork scaled up to the size of the pictures & reflect that it was done on a small iPad screen you have to admire the mastery of the medium. It makes the art very instantaneous & each mark very important. I would love to watch him work. To have that amount of confidence in line & colour is a great skill. I just cannot conceive how he could draw in the scale of the iPad & envisage what that drawing would look like in the size of the prints which resulted. He has a wealth of experience behind him & has used many different mediums & subjects.

I liked seeing the same views done at different times of day & in different seasons. The importance of really seeing what you are looking at & creatively interpreting that is fascinating. I liked the repetitiveness & the inescapable conclusion that it is never the same.

He has produced such a wide range of pictures using various media, the latest foray into the iPad is just a natural extension of his earlier work with photo montages & multi faceted paintings. Breaking up one huge view such as the Grand Canyon or the wonderful Yorkshire landscape allows him to convey the hugeness of a landscape whilst focussing the eye inward to one small part of that landscape.

His obvious keen eye for detail is conveyed in the simplest of brush strokes.  The speed of the drawing gives an immediacy of light & colour. Now I have to say I personally don't like some of the colour combinations, but I admire the confidence that allows him to do that.

An artists skill lies in making marks to represent living forms in a way which is meaningful to the audience. Hockney does that in spades. When you look back over an artists life & see the development of a very personal style & way of seeing, you can't help but be envious of the single minded dedication, talent & sheer hard work that has gone into that transformation.

I did enjoy the exhibition. Not necessarily all of the pictures, but the range & confidence of the work. I loved the use of colour, light & pattern. It must be wonderful to be that creative & to be able to devote your life to the fairly selfish pursuit of that creativity. I hope he has many years in him yet.

What a clever title, it means so many things, not just the size of the painting. I overheard someone say she couldn't decide whether Hockney is a genius or the biggest con artist of the 20th century! I think his sheer creativity & willingness to embrace new art forms makes him the former.

 I'll never be able to be that combination of selfishness, drive & talent, but I can appreciate a man who is. What a huge legacy of creativity he has left, long may he continue. I wish I was one of the people he sends his pictures to!




No comments:

Post a Comment