Search This Blog

Thursday 4 April 2024

Trust & Instinct - The Age of Deception

Trust - "firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something"

Instinct - "the way people or animals naturally react or behave, without having to think or learn about it. A natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity".

The world has changed significantly in my 79 years. For the better & for the worse. I have overriding concerns now about the Climate Emergency we humans have created & it's very possible outcome for all living things. I am both saddened & angry about all the conflict, famine & inequality in our world, which politicians seem unable or unwilling to really tackle. I could go on, but you get the picture. 

However one of the most important issues for me is the fact that I no longer feel I can trust my instincts as to what & who to believe. I always felt that I had pretty good instincts about people & issues. I know what my behaviour perameters are for myself & others. I try to behave well & tread lightly on this world, but I will not tolerate poor behaviour & I refuse to be complicit in it by walking on by. 

The difficulty I have now is that I cannot trust what I see, hear or read in this "post truth" age. Information is routinely manipulated. Algorithms rule. Images can be manipulated & difficult to spot. Conspiracy theories are rife. Influential people in politics, media & business routinely lie.

If I cannot trust the information I am presented with as reputable, how do I make good decisions? I know intelligent people who do believe much of what they see & hear & don't fact check information. In this "Age of Deception" we all have a responsibility to ensure that what we believe & espouse is true. Deception for ones own ends has become a choice for many people who do influence people's lives. It is widespread & insidious. 

The result of this creeping lying is that I do not trust people that I should. Elected politicians for example. I no longer think that governments act in the best long term interests of the people who they supposedly represent. I believe that many basically want to retain power, influence & money. The same is true of the very wealthy leaders of businesses. Self interest rules. People are collateral damage.

We humans have created a monster. Orwells 1984 has nothing on us. https://bookroo.com/quotes/1984

 https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpaper/3840x2160/7715827-George-Orwell-Quote-The-Party-told-you-to-reject-the-evidence-of.jpg

Unless we all wake up & realise that we each have a responsibility to stand up for a decent set of values in every walk of life I fear for the future of my grandsons. We created this mess by passivity. We all need to stop the rot now. We can do it, but we are running out of time. 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment