Search This Blog

Saturday 9 January 2021

Giving a Gift

It's my birthday next Friday. I hope my 76th year will be better than my 75th.

Today I had a special Christmas gift which made me think about our whole attitude to presents. The gift was in the lovely advent calendar my daughter made for me - A promise of a pedicure. Younger readers won't understand how distanced ones hands get from ones feet as one ages. I can barely get socks & shoes on & off now. Washing my feet involves the real danger of falling over in the shower. (I can't get in & out of the bath). So a pedicure is an absolute pleasure & the fact that my daughter is prepared to do it shows a huge amount of love. My feet are really clean, my hard skin has gone, my feet have been massaged with cream & my toenails are varnished. Bliss!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/proxy/AVvXsEj3smxrxtmyiEobshpseTFvA0K6GybAWLApuL9-iULSgt84Uo8gw-eRZtCJUlss2dDBsBxyO5nGspLv6kHxdsbTFzb7-Bc-GGKPCJx3lqs1TPRwYa-XJByBQ-9I9e-cicCv958XHeahacoKwiEDOaxra58iTE9r5FBNu4vctmQ02-6r7i7MFF65aQ=

I can't tell you what that all means to me. I wouldn't want to compare the situation with Mary washing Jesus's feet - but it is close! 

I really don't need anything much at all. What I need I buy when the need arises. Things don't mean much to me. What does matter is the thought that goes into a gift however expensive or cheap it is in financial terms. Often an experience is far better than a "thing". Things don't last - experiences live long in memory.

My birthday will be a joy if I can spend it with my daughter & family. We have all learned how important that human contact is during Covid 19. Sadly so many people have lost close friends & family in this last year. Truly there is little else that matters other than a home, food, financial security & health. 

I think what I am saying is that money, posessions, the lastest fashion in anything, are all transitory & mean very little. So many gifts we receive are things we don't want & end up being re-gifted or going to charity shops. What on earth is exciting about socks or jumpers? Today we do need to think hard about sustainability, recycling & waste.

A gift should be something special. Time is a gift. Being together is a gift. A hug is a gift. A conversation, listening to someone else, is a gift. Putting someone else's needs first is a gift. 

We need to give these gifts to eachother. Now more than ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment