Search This Blog

Sunday 26 July 2020

Corona - Taking Responsibilty - Personal Risk

After completely shielding for months I am relaxing my choices. I started to see one or two close friends & family outside in gardens, then indoors with doors open. I have shopped in a big supermarket & a smaller one wearing a mask. I have been to hospital for a non urgent appointment. This week I stayed with some friends overnight.

The amazing thing is that I am even Blogging about that. That it is worthy of comment. That it is out of the ordinary. But that is what Covid 19 has done. It as made the normal abnormal & the abnormal normal.

I am 75. I have several health conditions. But what I choose to do or not to do is my decision. I know myself better than anyone else. There is enough reputable & reliable information available, if you bother to look for it, so that people can make informed choices for themselves.

We all need to do our own individual risk assessment & take responsibility for our own actions. So I'm not going to big family get togethers. I'm not going on holiday for the forseeable future. We need to be pro-active whilst taking care to consider the impact of our behaviour on others.

There will be a time when there should be an evaluation of how well or badly Covid 19 was handled by governments & health professionals. I know what I think, but now is not the time for negativity. The world has to adjust to this & plan for a permanent health related threat. Covid isn't going away & isn't the only virus.

But governments, like police forces, cannot work in isolation. They work by consent. Each individual has a responsibility to make democracy work. For everyone.
https://www.dw.com/image/53583787_401.jpg

Many good things have come out of this pandemic. One is the way people have risen to the challenge of supporting people like me. Medics & carers & many other front line workers have knowingly put themselves at risk to help & care.

Each individual now has to behave responsibly making sure that they don't risk their own, or anyone else's, life for short term gain. The trick is to do that without damaging economies beyone repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment