Search This Blog

Saturday 23 May 2020

Corona - Hour by Hour Day by Day

I don't tend to look back. I don't tend to look forward with anticipation or excitement either. My past is history, I can't do anything about it except possibly learn the lessons. The future may never happen. So I just try to be. I've learned that I can live with most things.

At the moment my life is far more sedentary & solitary than normal. Goodness knows what that, plus the lack of exercise, will do to my weight & socialbility. I really miss swimming.

Currently I am digitizing hundreds of photo slides taken by my husband & transferring them to my computer. He seems to have been very good at taking bad photos, but fortunately the software lets me improve them. The slides seem to begin in 1976. He wasn't very good at annotating them with place & date or keeping them in order, so there had to be a radical re-ordering & cull before I started digitizing.

It is literally the first time some of these slides have seen the light of day since they were taken. It is very odd to be transported back to a different time & place. To see my daughter grow up again before my eyes. To see how slim & attractive, (sorry if that sounds boastful), I was & compare that to the image in my mirror every day.
There are probably other things I should be doing with this time which has been gifted to me. Reading some of the non fiction on my shelves, drawing, painting, working with textiles & being creative. But I'm strangely hooked on re-visiting the photographic past.

I think one of the reasons is that I think it's important for my daughter & she would never look at slides. There are a few, taken by her grandparents, of her father as a child. Although I do believe we should live minute by minute, savouring each moment of life, I also think that we should be able to catch a glimpse of our personal history.

History is both macro & micro. Where we come from is important & the trivia of daily life, which we are all experiencing even more now, makes us what we are.




No comments:

Post a Comment