Search This Blog

Monday 25 May 2020

Corona - "Friends Family & Countrymen - Lend me your ears"

With apologies to Shakespeare.

I am so grateful for so many things during this pandemic.

A daughter who shops weekly for me, despite the huge pressures of adjusting to & producing an online curriculum for the children she teaches. Only those in a similar position will know how stressful & time consuming that has been. (Plus helping my grandsons with their online schoolwork). She also visits regularly & we stand 2 m apart, me in the doorway her in the middle of the road. Real face to face interaction is so much better than any alternative. I wish we could hug too.

Then there are my many, mostly married, friends, A, A, C, C, D, D, J, J, K, P & S who make the effort to visit, phone, email or text me regularly. They know who they are. They also know how bad I am at phoning them, which makes it doubly wonderful. I'm much better at texting or emailing. Then there are my Zoom swimming friends who I have a coffee morning with every fortnight.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/b0/ca/bcb0cae34fb1bac0388289bb2b320b7b.jpg

These human interractions are a lifeline to the outside world. There is so much laughter, but also information about life outside, which I can't experience. I haven't shopped or travelled anywhere for 9 weeks. (Apart from one visit to A&E).

Obviously I do keep up with the news at home & abroad. I also have regular webinars or Zoom conferences with 4 of the Charities I support who are planning for the future after Covid 19. Especially the Ecological charities who see the benefit of the lockdown conditions & change in public habits.

The point of this is that my experience of Covid 19 is full of positives & the positives are the people I am in contact with. People who are themselves behaving well & complying with the "Rules" despite all the difficulties. Good people who not only think of others but do something to help them.

I wish I could say the same about everyone, but we are all different & the people who think rules don't apply to them are very much in the minority.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/24/dominic-cummings-crisis-18-unanswered-questions/

2 comments:

  1. It’s good you can see the positives. I’m just watching a program on TV with people discussing some societal changes that might come out of the pandemic. Remote working might become more the norm; online education much more prevalent. Feel for you all in the UK (still home!) where the virus is still ravaging. I’m worried about my daughter in London - no work but she is in good health so far. Keep smiling!
    Val xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the charities I'm involved with are working towards maintaining the ecological good that has come out of Covid 19. Society does need to change radically. This might just push us in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete