Search This Blog

Sunday 27 January 2019

Everything's Going Wrong!

I feel as if I'm trapped in a little vortex of things going wrong.
  • My boiler, which I only had serviced before Christmas, & which recently came out of it's 5 year guarantee, keeps losing pressure & stopping. (Typical "Sods Law"). The plumber replaced something very expensive the first time & keeps coming out & saying there is nothing wrong with it, but there is no evidence of a leak anywhere. Plumbers are not cheap.
  • My TV suddenly decided that BBC1 & 2 were not available after I did a channel update. I updated again & fortunately BBC miraculously returned.
  • Another TV suddenly stopped being smart. I also managed to sort that out. Obviously I'm smarter than TV's.
  • A loo is leaking from the cistern into the pan. You can't just replace the washer. You have to replace the whole part at a ridiculous cost. Then I have to get a man out when the part comes.
  • Another loo has supposedly stainless steel caps on the seat fixing which have discoloured a lot,(I discovered the cleaner was using Harpic to clean the whole loo!) So I had to replace the whole unit. Again at a ridiculous cost. However I did learn how to dismantle the loo seat - I'm quite proud of that.
  • My 3 year old Wi Fi printer just told me it was "in an error state". It just didn't tell me what the error was! That was a costly call out too.
I'm now wondering what else can go wrong. I'm already on double my quota of 3 & January isn't over yet.

The thing is I'm lucky, I can afford to get someone in to fix the things I can't. It isn't really about money. It's more the time, effort & stress. A single life does have it's advantages, but I do miss having a husband who would:-
     a) Probably have understood how all of these things work.
     b) Probably had a clue what was wrong.
     c) Also probably been able to fix them.

Before you dismiss me as some lame woman, I did:-
     a) Look up the instruction manuals, neatly filed ready for such
        emergencies.
     b) Google what to do in each case - Don't you just love YouTube?
     c) Check all the radiators, floors & ceilings etc for signs of a leak.

I will never understand plumbing or WiFi though.

In 10 years of widowhood I have learnt patience & the utter pointlessness of worry. But all of this is getting me down quite a bit, particularly the boiler. I didn't get much sleep last night at the thought that there could be a leak somewhere in the house causing the loss of pressure. The fact that the pumbers don't seem to be able to fix it doesn't help. They are coming again tomorrow.
Image result for Images for Jokes about things going wrong

 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete