Search This Blog

Sunday 11 September 2016

Truth - Honesty.

Truth - Genuine, actual, factual. Proven or verified.
Honesty - Sincerity, fairness.

How far is truth & honesty subjective?

I think I am, by an large, an honest & truthful person. That isn't to say that I have never & will never lie. There are times when I make a concious decision not to tell someone something because I feel that by doing so I will needlessly hurt them in some way. I can freely admit that I have actually lied on occasion for similar reasons. My first precept is "Do no unnecessary harm".

The motivation not to "tell the truth & the whole truth" can be love or caring for someone & wishing to protect them. I'm certainly guilty of that & would do it again if necessary without shame. Whether it's the right choice is debatable, because people don't like to feel that a relationship is based on falseness.

I think you can argue this from both sides. People have a right to know the truth & their nearest & dearest don't really have the right to keep that truth from them, because no one can know the ultimate consequences of that action or inaction. Saying nothing can be just as bad. Sins of comission & omission.

People often portray themselves as "being blunt", "calling a spade a spade (or shovel)", "speaking truth to power" as though it is a quality to be admired. We do need whistleblowers with the courage to speak up. We need people to stand up to injustice regardless of the harm it may do them or their families. The weak need the strong.

I'm just feeling conflicted because there are so many shades of grey in life. Deciding on the right course of action isn't necessarily simple anymore. So often the consequences are completely unpredictable. You don't want to destroy a relationship, but you do want to do your best for the person involved.

In the end I think you just have to go with your gut instinct & hope that it is reliable, honest & true.

No comments:

Post a Comment