Search This Blog

Saturday 21 May 2016

Warner Hotel Mini Breaks - Ageism, Snobbishness & Intolerance.

I just got back from my second Warner Hotel mini break. (See the Blog about the first one - 9.5 2015 in Holidays). Obviously they do their thing well or I wouldn't have gone back. This time was different because I knew exactly what to expect - The formula doesn't vary at all.

I did find myself reflecting more, both on the clientele & my own attitudes. I realise that I don't "do" old people well. I'm not patient & tolerant even though I am now officially old. I don't feel part of the group. I am irritated by ditherers, repetitive conversations & people who want to tell me everything about their own lives without being interested in mine. Old people are not necessarily nice. They can be very self absorbed & rude. So my conclusion must be that I am ageist.

I also realise that I'm not a "joiner in". I don't do communal waving of arms to tunes for example or forced hilarity. I really don't like being told what my response to something should be. There is something about the coach party mentality that I really don't get.  Conclusion - I've become a Southern snob.

On the other hand you have to admire people who obviously enjoy themselves. Who are prepared to get up in front of a big audience & dance for instance. I loved dancing when I was younger & was good at it. Years with a non dancing husband & now a body that won't do what I want have made me less confident. I simply couldn't get up on a dance floor, although I was asked, because I know it will cause me pain & embarrassment.

I think the problem is all mine. If I dance I want to enjoy it as I did when I was young. I want that enjoyment to show in my facial expression & how my body moves in time to the music. I want the inner me, who hasn't changed, to show. So I find the mostly stilted, mechanical, unsmiling dancers with little rhythm a sad shadow of what they probably used to be.

I'm sure I'm the one who is wrong. Warners has a very good U S P which meets the needs of an every increasing, enormous number of people & gives them great pleasure. Their staff are really good at their jobs, often multi-tasking.

Oldies Rule! - & Warners know that & cater for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment