Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 May 2016

The Rhythm of Life - 2

I don't remember much music at all when I was a child. At home there was only the radio. Looking back the programming was extremely limited & very unsophisticated. In the UK - Billy Cotton's Bandshow, Edmundo Ross, Jimmy Young, Tommy Steele, Lonnie Donegan. In America - Doris Day, Frankie Laine, Johnny Ray.

Rock & Roll emerged from America in the latter 50's with Elvis & a host of solo singers & groups. The influence of "Black" music, the Blues & Jazz fascinated me. I particularly loved the Blues & the syncopated dance moves of black groups.

Because I played the piano I also loved Classical music & eventually got a record player. I started buying 45's & LP's. Not many because I didn't have any money & it was a frivolity which my parents probably couldn't afford.

When I went to Grammar school I was influenced by the musical tastes of other girls. Some friends were very keen on Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Dankworth & Cleo Laine. We also had musical appreciation classes & learned to listen properly to music. I began to understand that it wasn't just background noise or something to jive to at the Catholic Youth Club. (Fortunately you didn't have to be a Catholic, because it was the only place to go). I was also influenced by a lodger we had who loved American Swing bands like Glen Miller.

By the time I went to college in the early 60's, ( a degree equivalent Art, Music & Drama college affiliated to London University), a world of music was opening up. Although my "main" was Art, I did Art of Movement Laban Dance, which was a whole new world, as well as continuing with the piano.

I remember seeing both  "Hair" in the late 60's & "Jesus Christ Superstar" in the 70's. Both were stunning experiences, visually & musically. The world was changing & music said something about our world. It transported you out of your life.

My working life was filled with music. I was an infant teacher & singing & playing instruments was intrinsic to the education of small children. When I got a scale post for music in a junior school I taught the whole age range & concerts & performances were a joy. Playing hymns for assembly wasn't quite so much fun.

Eventually, having to drive to a headship in a city every day, playing cassette tapes got me through the commute. Everything from opera & choral works to pop & jazz.

I now have very eclectic musical tastes & I have grown to love everything from Adele to Opera. I can't just have music as a background though. I have to listen to it. I like to be surrounded by it & don't like wearing earphones & a MP3 player.

Music is very important to every culture. It speaks to something very deep in our souls. I'm sure it is vital to our development as human beings & think that music has the power to radically change personality & mood. Maybe dictators just haven't been exposed to enough music.

No comments:

Post a Comment