Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 December 2014

Christmas in Malta - Poinsettia Heaven.

I think I have overdosed on Poinsettias! They must grow them in Malta & they were arranged in serried ranks in our very nice hotel & every church & most shops too. I had no idea that they have traditional relgious associations. Red - Blood - Obvious really, except that Christmas is the birth not the death. It all started in 16th C Mexico apparently. I don't think I'll be able to have one in my house ever again now!

The Maltese are big on Crib scenes too & have ginormous ones in churches, shops & seemingly almost every household's window. Actually it was quite nice to be in a country which takes the real meaning of Christmas seriously. Children dressed as angels and shepherds processed a crib with a baby Jesus through the streets round our hotel on Christmas Eve. It was lovely, but I can't see it happening in the UK really.

The sun shone every day but one. There is an impressive back story of history & pre-history going back to 3,500 - 5,000 BC. The buildings are beautiful. Many are in dire need of restoration - I was tempted, but installing a new kitchen in the UK has put me off somewhat!

The bus & ferry service is amazing and extremely cheap. You can get anywhere including the outer islands. What's not to like about that? We have a lot to learn about an integrated transport policy - Oh yes, but we haven't got one have we?

Our hotel was great. Seafront room with balcony & glorious views over the harbour to Valletta. The similarity to Venice was striking. They drive on the right & speak English, which is just as well because I just couldn't get the hang of Malti.

Possibly one of the best non Christmases I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment