Search This Blog

Friday 20 January 2012

Beauty - Applied & Inner

The face I see in the mirror in the morning is no longer "a thing of beauty & a joy to behold". Life & ageing has taken it's toll. I can improve matters by applying "slap", but mostly don't. I'm far too busy doing other things to spare the time, which is interesting because when I was young & more attractive I wouldn't go out of the house without the full makeup.

I tell myself that what matters is my mind & my personality & it would be fighting a losing battle anyway. Not sure that is true. I think that making an effort to look good gives you confidence & shows that you value yourself. Anyway, I'm not trying to attract a mate, or sell myself to get a job, so mostly I am unadorned & in very casual clothes.

I have several friends who have a similar attitude & I value them for who they are. But I also have a couple of friends who are always immaculately turned out & made up & I value them too. After all they are my friends, I have chosen them for good reasons. So, fundamentally it doesn't matter - we chose on the basis of the personality & values & how those fit with us.

People don't have to be beautiful or perfect in any way to be worthwhile. So I do find it worrying how every aspect of modern life seems to be based on outward appearance. Anyone in the public eye, from politicians to C list celebrities seems to feel the need to "sell" themselves. Worse still, we seem to "buy" on that very superficial value judgement. That puts a huge pressure on the role models themselves and on their followers who try to emulate them.

So I will probably go the way of all grey haired wrinklies & become invisible in the modern world. But I know that I was once quite attractive - I have the photos to prove it. I also know that I have a wealth of experience & expertise & a never failing interest in everything around me. As everyone of my age seems to say - inside, basically I'm still the same 20 year old - but better.

No comments:

Post a Comment