Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Change - Osama bin Laden

One of the basic tenets of Buddhist philosophy is accepting that change happens. Osama Bin Laden the leader of the terrorist group Al Quaeda was killed by the Americans yesterday. This will undoubtedly result in change in the Arab world & the world generally. Whether that change will be for good or ill we have to wait & see. In the meantime the press & media are dining out on pointless speculation.

The whole nature of change is that it happens unexpectedly & we cannot control it, but we do have to accept it and manage it as effectively as we are able. We are living through times where the rate of change in our lives seems to be growing exponentially. Very little can be expected to be immutable. This can be quite stressful, especially to those of a less robust disposition or control freaks.

At a simple individual level my life now bears very little resemblance to my life when I was a child, a teenager or a young adult. The tendency can be to resist change because the familiar is comfortable & known. But I have learned to embrace change. Resisting is futile anyway. It seem to me that the thing is not to fear change. We all have to find a way to deal with it anyway, at any level. So we might as well go forward into the unknown with a positive attitude. Change is often ultimately good.

I do believe that one's attitude actually colours the reality of one's experience. I would like my life to be as positive as possible. So I do actively try not to be negative. (It doesn't always work though. I am only human!)

No comments:

Post a Comment