Search This Blog

Sunday 9 June 2024

Ways to be Happy

I'm reading a book that says that the way to be happy is to "Improve your reality & Lower your expectations". I think that is rather difficult. It is important to be realistic - life is full of ups & downs. Sometimes the downs are dreadful. Very occasionally the ups can be wonderful. None of us has the right to expect a life that is truly blessed all the time. What is important is that we learn the lessons life gives us & understand that most people can & do deal with anything. Generally there isn't much choice but to deal with it. But everytime you come through, it gives you confidence that you can cope the next time. 

I do think that it is really helful to understand the importance of pleasure & enjoyment. I don't mean owning things, spending money or being selfish & hedonistic. There are lots of things that make me happy, in no particular order;-

  • Clean, fresh cotton bed linen.
  • Going to bed & reading a good book before sleeping - in fact just reading anytime
  • Seeing the plants I have planted in my garden come back every year. 
  • Being with good friends & family
  • Swimming lengths
  • Enjoying a nice meal I have cooked
  • Being independent & comfortable in my own skin
  • Being solitary but not lonely
  • Learning & researching new things
  • Going to art exhibitions
  • Listening to music

I could go on. 

I think that the important thing is to accept ones reality. It is what it is. Often I cannot control it. Currently I have a Fibromyalgia / Arthritis "flare up", my knees & hips are stopping me from walking far. I have learned that being angry, frustrated or frightened of pain that affects my life doesn't help. I do try to deal with the symptoms though. So I am trying to improve my reality, but I have lowered my expectations about what I can do. It is annoying to have to cancel things that I was going to do, but continuing to force my body to do them would only exacerbate the symptoms & prolong the problem. Age does bring compensations - acceptance is one of them.

It isn't true that we only use 10% of our brain capacity  https://mcgovern.mit.edu/2024/01/26/do-we-use-only-10-percent-of-our-brain/  Neuroscience has disproved that fallacy & we now know far more about our brain & how it works. Our brain generates our thoughts. That is what we have to learn to control. How we approach our life influences how happy or discontented we are. Positivity & self belief is important.

In the words of Monty Python - "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" 

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life Monty Python Life Of Brian Word Wall  Art 

always look on the bright side of life - Free animated GIF



2 comments:

  1. I love that song! Great words from you as always and you are one of the bright things in our lives!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need "bright people & moments". xx

    ReplyDelete