Search This Blog

Sunday 24 September 2023

Buddhism & Life

Buddhists believe that all creatures suffer - Suffering is caused by selfish desires - Suffering can be ended by the Eightfold Path - The Eightfold Path is all about doing everything, (Understanding, Thought, Speech, Action, Livlihood, Effort, Mindfullness & Concentration), in the correct way. Simple!

https://yujiearthman.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/2a6d7a2e1e16cfeebf244bc94d9db191.jpg

In my experience life isn't like that.

We humans let our Ego, (a persons need for self esteem or self importance), interfere with everything we do. Our Ego experiences and reacts to the outside world. There is a constant battle between the Ego & the primitive drives of the Id & the demands of the social & physical environment. The Id is the part of our mind in which innate, instictive and primary processes happen.

We are basically animals. But we are intelligent. We are capable of considering, reasoning, using rational judgement. The trick is to use that ability & not to let emotional thoughts & desires determine everything we do. Simple!

There are times, & today is one of those times, when I'm struggling with the rational & intelligent part of myself. I have thoughts about certain situations in my life that are basically emotional responses. I know that these thoughts are negative. I know they are based on expectations of others. I know, that I can only have expectations of myself. Others have to live their lives according to their personal code & beliefs.

Our world shows us that humanity has the capacity for great generosity, kindness & good. People can be very selfless, brave & idealistic. They can also be incredibly thoughtless, cruel & self serving. 

There is not only a personal battle to be fought. There is a battle between good and evil. 

We all have to fight both if humanity is to "live well & prosper" (Mr Spock). 


No comments:

Post a Comment