Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 October 2022

Things to be Grateful for.

I'm feeling more like myself - No longer Covid positive.

I have had very good care from the NHS despite the financial & staffing problems facing them.

I have been given 4 really helpful aids to remain independent by the Occupational Therapist.

I'm gradually returning to what passes for "normal".

I have a lovely, caring family & really good friends.

I have lost over a stone in weight - although there must be easier ways!

I'm aiming to be able to return to swimming & my usual activities next week. (But I will take it easy).

I have a home of my own & am financially secure.

I'm really lucky. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

But, all is not well in the world. We are facing serious issues at home & internationally. These will not be solved easily. It will require everyone, not just politicians, leaders of industry & wealthy philanthropists, to work together for the good of everyone & the world we all live in.

Self interest will not work. We in the developed world need to be prepared to make significant changes to our lifestyles immediately. We need to be grateful for what we have. We need to get things in to proportion. 

There is poverty everywhere, but the poverty in the developing world is far in excess of anything here. We have food banks, but we are not in a famine or starving to death. There is discord in the UK, but we are not involved in a war at home. We have access to clean water. Energy costs are very high, but we have heating & electricity. We have homeless people, but not in the numbers of displaced people around the world. All our children have acces to a free health service & good education.

Hitherto we have taken these things for granted, as a right. Now we have a responsibility to be more aware & share more equitably with the rest of the world. It isn't right that where you are born determines your life chances. It isn't right that decisions we have made are destroying the world we live in.

We all have to be grateful & be prepared to do something about the situation some of us have created.

Why inequality is 2015’s most worrying trend | World Economic Forum


 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment