Search This Blog

Sunday 30 July 2017

Volunteering in Malawi

It's now just under a month before I go.

I'm a good traveller I think. I've been to lots of countries in the world including Asia, the Middle East & Africa - I always did all the organising when my husband was alive. This is more challenging because I will be travelling completely on my own for the first time. And it involves changing flights in JoBurg both ways. But hey - I'm an old lady - people will help.

A trip like this isn't a holiday. There is a lot of planning involved. Who knew I needed a "Power Surge Protector" for example. I could guess what it was, but had never heard of one. Fortunately the internet tells you all & Amazon sells everything. My trusty packing list has had to be expanded & I've bought a bigger, lightweight suitcase.

I try to be a minimalist when travelling & usually only take a cabin case. I'm not a big believer in dressing up & wearing several outfits a day. But this is a month in Africa & it's hot. Clothes will get sweaty & dirty. Another reason not to take my best clothes.

It's the essentials which need thinking about. Medications for example. I have been advised to take over a months supply, keep them boxed & pack them in the hold case. Apparently customs in African countries have a habit of taking them off you - There is a market value for meds. Actually I wouldn't begrudge that. We are very lucky in the UK. We have the NHS, however much it's understaffed & underfunded. It's just that I need the meds. So I have to take prescriptions for everything as well as back up & hope that I can get them. Then there's the jabs (tick), & Malaria to think about.

I'm staying in a Lodge the charity uses & it doesn't have a website - I don't even have contact details yet. So I can't look up anything on the internet. In fact contact details probably wouldn't be much good in Kasungu - I gather the phone service isn't brilliant either. I'll get a local sim card if I can get my phone unlocked - O2 don't seem to be able to do it here. (Why not for goodness sake?)

What I need to know is basics - will there be soap, towels, loo paper etc. Will I have an ensuite - don't fancy trotting out in the middle of the night much. How reliable are the showers - I think they do have showers - I have been advised to take wet wipes, but enough for a whole body wash??

So, in fact packing my clothes is going to be the least of my problems. But it is all quite exciting - providing someone does meet me at the airport in Lilongwe & I do actually get there!
Image result for Images for Kasungu Malawi  
Kasungu Maternity Waiting Village 

No comments:

Post a Comment