Search This Blog

Monday 31 July 2017

Malawi - Preparations

These are ongoing. Something seems to get ticked off the list daily thank goodness.

Today I went to the Travel Clinic in a local pharmacy, which my surgery suggested, to get my malaria pills. This involves a car journey. I've had Larium before with no side effects, so I thought I would just get them over the counter. When I got there I discovered you have to make an appointment with the pharmacist, so I have to return tomorrow.

I've had my jabs, which were free much to my surprise, at my surgery. All I have to do is collect the Cholera suspension today & take it. I wonder why the NHS doesn't also do the Malaria pills? I would have been happy to pay for everything. I understand that the decision is to prevent costs if someone comes back ill, but I'm chosing to do this, so it seems like a cost I should pay. I'm sure someone has done the cost benefit analysis though.

I also went to my local Carphone Warehouse to find out why O2 couldn't unlock my phone. R, who works there, is really good at his job. Apparently all recent smart phones are actually unlocked - all you have to do is ring a number & leave it open for 5 minutes, no less, to make sure it is unlocked. So I rang my home landline. Why couldn't O2 tell me that & saved me the time & effort? Could it be that they hoped I wouldn't buy a much cheaper local sim when I get to Malawi & would pay them for roaming?

There seems so much to do & fit into an already busy life. It occurred to me that I should cancel my magazine subscription temporarily because I don't want my post to clog up the hallway.

I need a notebook in every room or the thought slides out of my brain & could be lost for ever.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/microloan-training-centre-allies-morrison-kasungu-malawi-oblique-picture-id154471667
MicroLoan Training Centre & Office Kasungu


No comments:

Post a Comment