Search This Blog

Sunday 16 July 2017

A Patients Journey 4 - The First Week

Sun - I had a really good night's sleep my first night out of hospital at M's.

It was really difficult & painful  getting in & out of a convertable bed settee because it is much lower than mine at home. It was also difficult going to the lavatory, because mine at home is wall hung higher than normal. You can't rush after an op, so need to give yoursef plenty of time!

M took me home after breakfast because there are end of term school "do's" at lunchtime, in the afternoon & the evening. So I might as well be at home with my own things as being in her house. I'm actually safer because I  have a personal alarm at home in case anything happens when I'm on my own.

It would have been my 51st wedding anniversary & is the day that David died. I can't believe that it's 8 years ago. Sometimes is seems much longer, sometimes just yesterday. It is true, life does go on.

Mon - M popped in this morning & we walked to the chemist to pick up some of my meds. I sat on a bench while she got some food from M&S for me. By the time we walked back I was completely exhausted. My legs felt leaden. At least I've got some idea of my limitations. I felt very nauseous today. Not sure why - I would have thought that the anaesthetic would have worn off by now. Watched / slept through tennis in the afternoon!

Tue - M popped in again today. She is going on holiday to Italy tomorrow morning & still hasn't packed! Felt nauseous again & slept through tennis again. It's like a light going out - One minute I'm awake then I wake up & have missed a set.

Wed - I was shocked to be bleeding this morning. Going to the loo has been painful since the op, but I've not really had any "spotting". I phoned the Gynae ward & they were very re-assuring & said just to monitor it. It is good to have been given a direct contact number. It didn't continue. It would happen when M isn't here, but my friend A is coming later to stay for a couple of nights. I'm quite relieved not to be on my own & she is very unflappable. She went off to see the Raphael exhibition in the afternoon & I spent another afternoon not watching the tennis. It's ironic - can't seem to stay awake however interested I am in the match.

Thurs - It's good having A here. I'm a big believer in "Distraction Technique" & having someone to talk to & share meals means I don't think about how I'm feeling. Still feeling nauseous in the afternoons.

Fri - A week has gone by. A went home after breakfast, having taken me to drop a urine sample off at the surgery. I will miss her calm presence.
Minor panic after lunch. My stomach became more & more uncomfortable & swollen. Couldn't bear to wear the leggins I had on. I phoned the ward & they said to get an emergency appointment to see a GP.

That was interesting - the receptionist didn't seem to be able to understand what I was saying. In the end she said a doctor would phone. (I had told her that the hospital had said I needed to be seen by a GP today). The duty GP didn't seem to be any more capable of taking the information in than the receptionist had been. (I don't think I was incomprehensible, but I suppose it is possible).

He gave me an emergency appointment for 4.40. That would be about 3 hours after I first phoned.

I live alone, my daughter, my best friend locally & my neighbour are all away & A has gone home. I have just had major surgery & can't walk very far - not to mention that I am 72 with a heart condition - So I would have thought that our NHS would think that this justifies a home visit. No way. Get a taxi the GP said, knowing full well that the surgery is surrounded by double yellow lines & is on a cross road of 2 main roads, so it's unsafe to pull in & drop someone off close by.

By the time I actually saw a doctor I was fortunately feeling much better. She was thorough & concluded that it was probably trapped wind, (because it had subsided quite quickly). So monitor it & hope it doesn't return. That's the conclusion I had come to, but it was reassuring to have it confirmed.

Sat - I do seem to feel uncomfortable after eating, but not as bad as yesterday afternoon. I suppose all my intestines have been moved around during the surgery & having food to deal with causes problems. However the good news is that I have stopped taking the additional pain killers today & am just taking my normal pain meds. So all in all there is progress day by day. I have a "Do's" & Dont's" list on my wall to remind me to take things easy.

I would say that I'm recovering really well for an old bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment