Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 September 2015

On Constantly Being Messed About

I'm glad I'm older. If I was my younger, more volatile self I would be in a semi permanent state of irritation, not to mention fury.

Since moving house 2 years ago I have had to have quite a bit of work done on my house. I have also had to buy quite a lot of "stuff" & get it delivered. This all involves a lot of contact with tradesmen & delivery companies. It has not gone smoothly.

Because I have a "pick & mix" bag of chronic conditions I have also had to visit GP's & hospitals on a very regular basis. This always supposedly involves having an "appointment" - I use the term losely!

My gripe is that all of these people seem to think that my time is of no value. It isn't because I'm old & retired, they don't necessarily know that. Uniformly, all the people I have interracted with seem to think that time or even day is infinitely flexible, a moveable feast. It's unprofessional & it's unacceptable. The only person I can think of who does keep to appointment times is my Osteopath.

Unavoidable things do happen, I accept that. Not with monotonous regularity though surely? (In the last week 3 appointments haven't been kept). It seems to be an endemic culture in the UK. It wouldn't be so bad if people kept their clients informed. In this day and age of advanced technology & communication, that shouldn't be difficult. But it doesn't happen. I always seem to have to ring, email or text to find out what is happening. Usually when I have been waiting in for the best part of a day.

It's more than frustrating. It's incompetent & arrogant. It's clearly saying that the client is of little importance. It's our lot to wait patiently for something to happen. The problem is that if you actually want the goods or the services you don't have much choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment