Search This Blog

Sunday 6 September 2015

Losing my Marbles

I'm now officially an old lady! I've had a phone alarm system installed & wear an alarm watch all the time in the house. Actually that's rubbish, anyone of any age is at risk if they live alone. I just happen to have accepted that for me the risk factors are higher. Heart attack, stroke, a fall, a dizzy spell, a bad virus....A good friend who is younger than me had a stroke last week & is now in hospital. It's a question of probabilities.

I don't much fancy lying on the floor somewhere, in pain & unable to get to a phone. It doesn't seem an attractive scenario. The reality for lots of people who don't work & live alone is that they may go for days without a visit or a phone call. You can't plan for an accident & you can't count on someone realising you aren't around any more.

It's not something to dwell on, but it is something to prepare for if you have any sense. No one is immortal.

What I quite fancy is a massive heart attack which takes me out faster than the speed of light. I'm not big on pain and suffering, especially not on my own & over a long period of time. I'm not brave. But unfortunately you can't decide your own exit unless euthanasia becomes lawful.

Fortunately, at the moment , I've got enough marbles to decide how to be safe. That will be the next thing of course. When the holes take over from the cheese in the Gruyere.

No comments:

Post a Comment