Search This Blog

Friday 11 September 2015

Ageing & Independent Living

I went to an Occupational Therapist for an Assessment of Need this week. I've arranged them before for my father and my mother in law, but didn't envisage having one myself.

I want to be able to live safely in my home & have got to the point where some things are difficult. I'm sure my legs have grown further away from my hands, so that putting tights, socks & shoes on involves contortions & possible speedy bodily contact with the floor. I haven't had a bath for years because I can't get in & out of one.  I have a corner shower at the moment, but it's too small for me to be able to manouvre easily in. Getting in & out of bed, even turning over in bed, is difficult. Going up and down stairs is a challenge,especially if I want to carry anything. etc etc etc. All very boring & limiting.

The assessment was at Brooks University where they train all sorts of health professionals including OT's. It was very sympathetically & professionally done, by a charming man who really knew his stuff. I will now be getting several practical aids to enable me to function better in my home. I will also get a list of approved contractors who can look at things like installing a shower downstairs & a wet room in my ensuite.

The important thing is that it gives me confidence that I can live independently for at least a few more years. I am fortunate that I can pay for this service. But had I not been able too I could have got these things free or reduced. Probably not any more from today though. It seems very likely that the budget for this will be cut again iminently. There is a meeting today about it, so my timing was very lucky.

It makes no sense at all. The cost of treating people who have accidents in the home is far more than giving them things which make them safer. Hospitalisation is expensive & not good for patients. This type of intervention is simple, cheap & cost effective. What sort of idiot politician thinks that it is a sensible decision to cut health & social services to the bone? We need to cut the deficit, but not like this. This will cost money in the long term & people will suffer as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment