Search This Blog

Monday 20 April 2015

A Comfortable Life

I live in a nice, comfortable, ridiculously expensive, house, which is warm and secure. I have plenty of good food to eat, (with a M&S just round the corner). I have friends & relatives who love me and care about me, (I think). I have an enjoyable, interesting and busy life, (a quiet day off would be good though). I am financially secure, (despite the bankers & politicians). I have chronic health conditions, but I'm not likely to die from them just yet, (I hope). As a widow of 70 there is an absence of sex, (but I can read in bed - a distinct pleasure). There has been no War in the UK since I was born. Therefore I satisfy the majority of  Maslow's hierarchy of needs.



Maslow-Hierarchy                                                                                                                                                                              
Because of this I find it impossible to imagine or empathise with the circumstances which might make me leave everything I have to make a hugely dangerous journey to get to another land. How bad must life have to be to make so many refugees risk their lives in unseaworthy boats, sailed by criminals, who have no care whatsoever for human life. They have no compunction about killing their human cargo. The conditions on board are unimaginably dreadful & dangerous. Thousands have died.

Sailors from the EU risk their lives on a daily basis to rescue these poor unfortunate people. Thank goodness they do, but it must be hugely harrowing & desperately sad work which is never ending.

There must be more co-ordination between all countries in the affected areas. The burden must be shared effectively. We cannot be bean counters who count the financial cost. We are dealing with human lives which have been utterly & horrifically destroyed.

Surely we have no choice but to solve the underlying causal roots of the problem as well as the immediate, life threatening, problem of the flight from unbearable pain & fear, however much that costs?

No comments:

Post a Comment