Search This Blog

Monday 22 September 2014

"What every woman needs.... Perfect Bliss

"What every woman needs is a man who makes her laugh & lives 5 blocks away". A friend told me this quote today & attributed it to Martha Gellhorn, but I can't verify that or find who really did say it. Maybe it's apocryphal, but someone should have said it if it is.

It seems to me that this is the solution to the problem of the intelligent man who can't work household appliances, cook, iron, or clean the loo & needs a mother rather than a lover. With age you get to value good conversation, shared experiences, true partnership based on equality & real love. The last two are in short supply I think. Each person should want to give something, not just take. Neither should want to dominate. Both should value the strengths and weaknesses of the other.

Being in a relationship but living apart sounds wondeerful to me. I like my own space - The home I have created with my own things around me. I'm happy for a partner to visit, & vice versa. It would be good to be treated as an honoured guest rather than a skivvy. The concept of inviting someone to share your home, but being able to say that was wonderful, now let's have a breathing space sounds good to me.

Each would be an individual as well as a couple. Both could have their own life as well as a shared life. Both would know there was someone to call on, who would come running in extremis.  The sharing of experiences without being joined at the hip 24 /7. It seems like perfect bliss to me.

Perfect Bliss isn't that easy to achieve though!

No comments:

Post a Comment