Search This Blog

Sunday 7 September 2014

Being Connected, Fairy Godfathers & Wicked Fairies.

I have had a week without my computer. First my connectivity with my ISP, Plusnet, became intermittant & then died. I thought it might be the Home Plugs, but no. After doing all the usual things like unplugging everything & re-booting the router I rang Plusnet. Their customer service is good & they put something clever on the line - interleaving??? That seemed to work with the signal, but I suspect that it did something to my ability to connect with GMail.

So, the next problem was that GMail told me I had changed my password, suspiciously about the time the interleaving was switched on. I hadn't changed anything. I tried every password I'd ever used - nothing, zilch, nada. Then I discovered that GMail had my old telephone number, so when they sent instructions for re-setting my password by phone it was lost in the ether because the number no longer exists. I also couldn't access my backup email because I couldn't log on! A frustrating circle resulting in much gnashing of teeth & tearing of hair.

The final straw was that you can't contact a person at Google. You just go through the re-setting "help" pages over & over again trying to find a way through. I could feel the minutes of my life ticking away - there are a lot less now than there were. I also had to face the idea that I may have been Hacked - what an appropriate word. My life is on my computer - Literally.

All of this also caused problems with my new smart phone too bcause I'm "synched."

Finally, my Fairy Godfather, S, who was on holiday in deepest, darkest, Northumberland, waved his magic wand & got into my backup email & reset things so that this hopefully won't happen again. What would we do without kind High Tech Fairies. They are few & far between & sprinkle the gold dust  of connectivity on the people they restore to the magic of the internet.

I don't have such warm feelings about the elusive Wicked Fairy Google.


No comments:

Post a Comment