Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Scottish Referendum

I am tired of the continual domination of this story in the media & press. I have got to the point where I don't care what they vote. I just want it to be over, so that we can have more balanced news. The whole long lead time has been counter productive, with the mucky politics, the in-fighting & the downright disinformation & lies.

Alex Salmond seems to think he is the Scottish Messiah who is infallible & on a Divine mission. He even has his own Mary Magdalene in Nicola Sturgeon. The English politicians were gob-smackingly arrogant in thinking that there would never be a yes vote. I'm truly fed up with the whole lot & simply don't care who is right or who is wrong. They all have their own personal agenda.

I think that this will be a historic moment whatever the result is. I'm not clever enough to be able to tell the difference between the lies & the truth. I suspect that it's all speculation anyway. Some expert could probably be found to back up anything anyone has said over the months leading up to this. The "proof will be in the pudding", (or the haggis).

After the result is declared hopefully the dust will settle & the divisiveness this has caused will die down. I've no idea what the long term outcome will be - good or bad - & for whom. Either way, the harm is done. Nothing will be the same again.

At least there hasn't been a war. No one has died. Put into that perspective there are other, far more pressing issues we should be concerned with.

19.0.14
Whew! The No vote won with a clear mandate. 44.7% Yes, 55.3% No = 10.6% clear margin. The only areas to vote Yes was the  small cluster of 3 round Glasgow. The whole of the rest of Scotland was No. Personally I think it would have been a huge problem if the Scots had voted Yes, so I am very pleased.

It would be nice to think that the politicians would now look at the whole of the UK Constitution & make the necessary changes for all of our member countries. I'm not holding my breath though.

Mr Cameron must be hugely relieved that he won't go down in history as the Prime Minister who  failed to stop the break up of the United Kingdom. We should all now decide what United means in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment