Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Birthday Musings

January isn't the best month to have a birthday. It's usually cold, wet, grey & miserable on mine. However today is beautiful. My spirits rise when the sun shines.

I'm 68. Not really sure how that happened. However the evidence is before my eyes every morning in the mirror. I'm sure I could think of 68 reasons to be cheerful, but it's too long a list to write. It could probably be encapsulated in Maslows Hierarchy of Needs:-
1. Biological and Physiological needs - food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep...
2. Safety needs - security, stability, law, freedom from fear...
3. Belonging / Love needs - work group, family, friends, relationships...
4. Self Esteem needs - achievement, mastery, independence, recognition, respect...
5. Self-Actualization needs - realizing personal potential / inner talent, self-fulfillment, personal growth, creativity...
I have problems - who doesn't. An awful lot of people have more serious ones than mine. I know now that I can't change anything that has happened. All I can do is try to deal well with each event as it transpires.

It is true that when you age you become more reflective. One should have learnt from experience & therfore be more empathetic. I know a lot of stuff, although much gets temporarily lost in the Swiss cheese that is my brain nowadays.

One thing I know is that number 3 on the Maslow scale is really, really important. My lovely neighbour Cilla arrived on my doorstep with a card & a bunch of flowers this morning. You can't buy that sort of friendship & thoughtfulness. My lovely daughter rang to wish me a Happy Birthday & sent me a card that made me laugh. I have received cards & egreetings from friends who remembered despite their busy lives.

One has to give love & friendship in order to receive. I do hope I don't turn into a crabby old woman who no one wants to be with - New year / Birthday resolution - must work hard at making sure that doesn't happen. You can't take it for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment