Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 September 2021

Eco Warrior Failure - A tale of Woe

That's how I feel. I set out with high aspirations to refurbish my 1930's semi in as Green a way as possible. I'm a complete failure. 

Windows - What I wanted was sliding sash replacement windows in a modified softwood called Accoya. It's sustainable & really good. But it's also a lot more expensive that what I have bought, which is really good quality UPVc sashes. From the kerbside you won't be able to tell that they aren't wood, but that isn't the point.

Wall Insulation - What I was going to use was Pavatex wood fibre. But again the price has shot up because there is "A Severe timber shortage as ‘a perfect storm’ brings price hikes and delays" because of a surge in demand due to Brexit & Covid. It's now more than double the alternative. The underfloor insulation also looks as if it is coming in very expensive too. I haven't got round to the loft insulation yet.

Heating - I was seriously considering a heat pump instead of a combi gas boiler & did my research. I can't have a ground sourced heat pump because I don't have enough land for the collector loop, which is laid horizontally in a trench about a metre or so below ground. Where there isn't room to do this, you can drill vertical boreholes to extract heat from much further down, typically between 90m and 160m deep. It's significant, costly, disruptive work in the garden. A 6-8 kW horizontal ground source heat pump system usually costs around £10,000 to £12,500 to install. A larger 12kW heat pump system would cost around £15,500 to £17,500 to install. I simply can't afford to do it. 

Air source heat pumps are cheaper, but they are noisy & UK houses, not insulated to high enough standards, are not kept wam enough in winter.

It's a no brainer. I am having a gas boiler. I won't live long enough to get the financial benefit from the technology & the government have withdrawn the Green Deal financial support.

I don't expect the Government to foot the bill for my project, but as a member of Greenpeace & several other Eco charities, I know how important this is. We need to be doing this now. But the public won't do it unless they are helped with incentives of some sort. There is a limit to how much extra cost an individual household can absorb, however high their ideals. 

According to the International Institute for Sustainable Development in September 2020, " a majority of people across Britain support an ambitious transformation of the United Kingdom into a greener, fairer, and more equal society. The assessment is based on an extensive inquiries by a cross-party group of MPs, which involved over 55,000 people through representative polls, workshops, and telephone conversations". Covid triggered a widespread desire for change. There is plenty of evidence that a Green economy will benefit the whole country. But it won't happen on it's own. It needs political will & Government commitment.

So I have failed & I'm really dieappointed. I just don't have a bottomless pit of money. The good thing, if I can afford it, is that I might have a resin bound, permeable, gravel driveway that uses recycled plastic drinking straws.

This Government has failed me & everyone else too. To quote Greta Thunberg  “Build back better. Blah, blah, blah. Green economy. Blah blah blah. Net zero by 2050. Blah, blah, blah. This is all we hear from our so-called leaders. Words that sound great but so far have not led to action. Our hopes and ambitions drown in their empty promises.”

 https://www.facebook.com/gretathunbergsweden/videos/1033097317441254

We don't have long to sort this out. There have been plenty of warning signs. We are hosting Cop 26 in a month's time. I don't know how our Cabinet have the cheek to do it. 

 
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Greenest-Countries-in-the-World-Main-Image.jpg

But I am so disappointed with myself personally too. 



 

2 comments:

  1. At least you tried! Eugenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but it is frustrating that it's so hard to be Green.

    ReplyDelete